Frequently Asked Questions

 Q: I think I am eligible for a Principal Residence Exemption but I didn't submit my form to the Assessor by June 1st. Can I still receive a PRE?
 A: Yes. If you did not submit your form to the assessor in time to have the exemption added to your property record, you may request the July or December Board of Review add the exemption. They have the authority to add the current year and up to three prior years.
 Q: What are assessments and when do they occur?
 A: Assessed Value (AV) is 50% of the True Cash Value (TCV) for the property as it existed on December 31. Assessment notices are mailed out to the taxpayers in February informing them of the what the values will be for the year.
 Q: When can I appeal my property assessment?
 A: Property assessments are appealed to the March Board of Review. This is held every year by law beginning on the second Monday in March. Caledonia Township generally has two days of hearings. You may appeal in person or by letter. If you wish to appeal in person, you must call for an appointment.

The March Board of Review has the ability to correct assessments, change property classification and grant poverty and veteran exemptions. If a residential property is not appealed to the march Board of Review, the assessment is final until the following year.
 Q: I purchased my home for less than two times my State Equalized Value, how can I get the State Equalized Value adjusted to half of my purchase price?
 A: The law defines the True Cash Value as the usual selling price of a property. The Legislature and the Courts have very clearly stated that the actual selling price is not a controlling factor in the True Cash Value or State Equalized Value as calculated by the assessor. For this reason, when analyzing sales for determining assessment changes, the assessor will review all sales, but excludes non-representative sales from the assessment analysis.
 Q: How do I apply for a land division?
 A: A land division application must be completely filled out and returned along with the appropriate funds and an approved survey of how you are proposing to divide the land. any questions regarding minimum township requirements should be directed to the Zoning Administrator. The number of splits allowed per the State Land Division Act would be determined by the Assessor. Upon review of the completed application, a written response of approval or disapproval will be mailed to the property owner within 30 days of receipt of the application. If approved, the property owner has 60 days to record the new legal descriptions at the Kent County Register of Deeds office.